The current House Insular Museum of Vine and Wine of Tenerife “Casa del Vino La Baranda” comes from the restoration of an old Canarian farm house from the XVII century called “Hacienda de San Simon” or “Finance Handlebar” founded by Leiva Herrera family. One of the owners (s. XIX) Jose Joaquin de Herrera was President of Mexico between 1844 and 1850.
The Hacienda was acquired from the family of Don Blas Pérez González by the City of El Sauzal in 1989 and assigned to the Hon. Cabildo Insular de Tenerife in 1992, the institution that initiates the process of restoration that year, according to the project of the architects Juan Carlos Diaz-Llanos La Roche and Don Fernando Beautell Stroud.
The House occupies a floor area of 1,155 m2 on a total of 13,000 m2 plot. It is a worthy representative of the rustic historic haciendas, located in the midlands of northern Tenerife, they were built by their owners in order to centralize the agricultural activity of farms, ranging from the coast to the summit.
The house revolves around a central courtyard and, for all we know, the previous use of existing units was:
|Guano room||Tasting room|
|Kitchen and medianeros dependencies||Restaurant|
|Master bedrooms and living rooms||Multipurpose room|
|Ermita San Simon||Chapel|
Since its inauguration on April 15, 1995, the Island House Museum of Vine and Wine has become the nerve center for the promotion of quality wines of Tenerife, as well as a meeting point for the wine sector. It is home to numerous courses, workshops, exhibitions and outreach and agricultural research.